Posted on 01 January 2010.
Planning and paying for a wedding ceremony and reception can easily become very expensive. The average American wedding costs $30,000. Many financially-conscious couples are eagerly searching for ways to reduce the tremendous wedding bills. Be comforted in knowing that there are a whole variety of techniques that couples can follow to reduce the cost of their wedding ceremony and reception.
One effective way that money-savvy couples save on their wedding is by saving money on their wedding cake. Listed below are some ideas to save on your wedding cake and wedding desserts:
(1) Telephone and visit various bakeries in your city or town, and consider expanding the geographical search to include maybe a 30 mile radius. Ask about price quotes for various styles of cakes and accompanying desserts. Record the price quotes and additional information in your wedding planner or notebook.
(2) Ask a trusted family member or friend to bake your wedding cake themselves and give it to you as their wedding present.
(3) Ask a close family member or friend to purchase the wedding cake from bakery and give it to you as their wedding present.
(4) Consider alternate desserts that are less expensive:
(5) Consider purchasing a small wedding cake for guests to eat and for you and your partner for the cake-cutting ceremony.
(6) You could purchase a non-edible cake for decorative reasons, meaning that it is a cake made of a foam cake-frame, decorated with icing, to look good for photo opportunities.
(7) Consider purchasing two smaller-sized cakes rather than one more expensive larger cake.
(8) Consider purchasing a cake with less fancy and ornate decorating.
(9) Look in local newspapers and magazines for coupons offered by bakeries for discounts on wedding cakes.
(10) Search wedding and bakery websites on-line for affordable yet beautiful wedding cakes.
(11) Attend local wedding shows for ideas about different bakeries, different cake styles, colors, designs and flavors.
(12) Some ambitious and domestic brides or grooms take cake decorating classes and actually design, bake and decorate their own wedding cake. However, special skill and extra time and pre-planning are required to bake your own cake.
(13) If having a beautiful and top-quality wedding cake is very important to you as the bride or groom, consider splurging on the wedding cake expense and cutting back finances in another area, such as musical entertainment for the reception, or the amount of alcohol being served.