Take 25% off a one year subscription to Wedding Tracker and build the ultimate wedding website! Use code AFF25.
Congratulations, bride-to-be, on your engagement! As you begin your journey towards becoming husband and wife, close your eyes and envision how you want to look on your wedding day. Long traditional bridal gown with cascading train? Knee-length strapless dress with short silk veil? Every little girl dreams about getting married someday and walking down the aisle in a beautiful dress.
Here are a variety of tips and suggestions for selecting the perfect bridal gown.
1. Talk to trusted friends and family about where they purchased their wedding dresses.
2. Ask to see photographs of friends, family and co-workers wedding dresses for ideas.
3. Research wedding dresses online. Ask friends and family to recommend bridal websites.
4. Purchase several good quality wedding magazines to search for ideas. Pay attention to the specific styles, fabrics, and colors that appeal to you. Cut out photos of wedding dresses that you like and place them in a notebook or scrapbook.
5. Have your mother and/or bridesmaids accompany you to various wedding boutiques. Try on various dresses. Avoid settling for first or second dress you try on. Don’t settle shopping in just one boutique.
6. Consider putting several possible dresses on hold and return to the wedding boutique several days later to try on the dresses again with a fresh perspective.
7. Consider the style that you want:
- with straps
- with long sleeves
- with short sleeves
8. Consider the length that best suits your needs:
- floor length dress with long train
- floor length dress with short train
- floor length dress with no train
- ankle length dress with or without train
- knee-length dress
9. Think about the head-piece that you desire:
- long veil
- short veil
- no veil
10. Think about the color that you would like:
- shades of white
- shades of ivory
- shade of cream
11. Consider the material/ fabric that you would feel most comfortable in:
12. Consider your body type and what dress style best flatters your figure.
13. Consider the month of your wedding and the typical weather at that time.
14. Consider the destination of your wedding:
- local wedding – traditional theme – cold or warm
- destination wedding – casual theme – tropical or cool
15. Consider any cultural or familial traditions that you want to uphold.
16. Try on your bridal shoes with your gown:
- small heel
- high heel
17. Purchase jewelry that compliments your body type, face and your wedding dress.
18. Practice good time management. Begin looking for your dress shortly after getting engaged, so that you allow for plenty of time to shop at various boutiques and getting necessary fittings and alterations.